Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I am eternally grateful this morning that God is "a God ready to forgive, gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love..." Nehemiah 9:b. The battle between the flesh and the Spirit  for the believers affections is intense. The flesh is weak, but the Spirit is willing; however, we often fall prey to the temptations "of the moment." Before we know it we have given in to the flesh, failed, and sinned against God. O do I long for the day when sin is no more and the Evil One is burning in the flames of eternal torment, while the followers of Jesus bask in His glory forever. But, for now the battle rages on and I/we must push forward. What then are we to do WHEN we fail, when we sin, when we give in to the flesh? John the Apostle provides us with great theology when he states, "If we confess [agree with God that we have sinned against Him] our sin, HE is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness" 1 John 1:9. The God Nehemiah speaks of is the same God John speaks of who postures Himself in such a manner that He is "ready to forgive" based not on our goodness, but on His justness and faithfulness. How is He just in forgiving sin? He has dealt justly with sin in His Son Jesus Christ, "He who knew no sin became sin for us..." and "He [Jesus Christ] is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also of the sins of the whole world" 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 John 2:2. In my failures, in my "caving to the flesh" God stands ready to forgive. O such grace in the face of such an intense battle for my affections that rages forward daily and intensely. God, thank you for being ready to forgive me this morning, for being gracious and merciful towards me - a great sinner. Thank you for not merely forgiving, but cleansing, purging, restoring, and transforming me. Now I pray O Father use the beauty of your Word to increase my affections for You and You alone! To the praise of your glory! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment