Thursday, January 30, 2014

Unexpected Exhortation

“And let us continue to consider how to stimulate one another to love and good works,” Hebrews 10:24

            Exhorting other followers of Jesus serves as a necessary practice of the Christian life. In our effort to further the gospel of Jesus Christ and make disciples, we must diligently seek to “stimulate” fellow believers to love one another and others as well as perform good works that glorify God.
            I assert that the above text concerns intentional stimulation, that is, a follower of Jesus purposefully exhorting other believers to “love and good works.” However, I also assert that this can be done in an indirect manner as we live out the gospel. By our “love and good works” we influence folk we did not even know were watching or listening.
Recently I experienced this in an unusual way and an unusual place. Ted’s Electrical & HVAC, the company I co-own with my father, needed me to troubleshoot an Electric Steam Generator, which I had never worked on before, for a retirement center in Chapel Hill. After having discovered the problem on the Generator, I stood in the lobby to call for parts. While on hold I overheard a conversation between two employees. What I heard exhorted me to “love and good works.” A fellow follower of Jesus was sharing boldly, kindly, compassionately, and clearly how Jesus Christ arose from the grave to redeem us from sin. When being questioned about those in church who live unfaithfully, he responded by sharing how following Jesus concerned his obedience and was not measured by how others lived. In other words, he gathered on Sunday with the body to worship Jesus and not to please others. The conversation soon ended; however, the seed was planted. I finished my duty and when leaving I met the individual who had been witnessed to by a co-worker. I shared with Hosea my testimony and exhorted him to listen to his co-worker; for, Jesus alone can satisfy the longings of his heart.
            God’s wonderful work occurred in 2 clear ways: 1 man heard the clear message of redemption, I was “stimulated to love and good woks.” Our faithfully living for the gospel either directly or indirectly stimulates other believers to love and good works. My encouragement to you is be faithful; for, even when you are not aware your faithful service to the King is working for His glory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment